Saturday, June 21, 2008

Hello, hello, hello!
For those of you that do not live in the south, be thankful. It is HOT here in Houston!!! The humidity is so high you can barely breath outside. Not to mention we have hardly had any rain at all. We have so much yard work to do but it's just too dang hot to get out there, even in the mornings and evenings. It's times like these that I wish we lived in Alaska or Oregon.

David got his MRI scan results. Great news ~ no new tumor growth. His doctor will not need to see him again until his next MRI next year. What a relief that is for us. All of your prayers worked ~ thanks!

I had my bone marrow biopsy the other day. It was nice since I got to be put to sleep this time. I'm always awake, with no sedation, when I have those things and they hurt like hell. Now I'm just sore in my hips. The bone marrow is extracted out of both hips. I basically feel like I've been kicked in the back by a horse. I've never actually been kicked by a horse but I can image that it would make your hips hurt. I'll go back to the doctor next week for my results. For the last few weeks I've been having to go in to give blood samples, not sure why. I guess I'll find out the answer to that one next week as well. I have chronic low white blood count and sometimes my WBC gets dangerously low, so that might be what they are monitoring. I always have to be super careful being around children (because they carries millions of germs and also being around sick people). My immune system does not like to fight off infections.

Since I have Celiac Disease I have to eat a gluten-free diet. I've been trying different gluten-free recipes for sugar cookies but they all taste yucky. If anyone knows a good recipe for gluten-free sugar cookies, please email it to me. kmuhl@sbcglobal.net I am CRAVING a real, Shipley's donut. There are a lot of foods I miss eating, especially donuts!

I'll post more next week. I hope all of you out there are doing great!!!


2 comments:

Danielle said...

YEA!!! I'm glad to hear the great news about David!

We need to get together for dinner soon!

Tiffany said...

Kelly,
I am glad to hear about your husband, that is good news. Every summer I wish to move to Alaska also. My husband lived there before we got married, and I always threaten to move there in the summer, I can't stand the heat. I have a donut recipe to share with you. I am hoping you can use a gluten free mix to make them? The recipe calls for wheat and white flour, but I have made them with just wheat. Very good.
I also have a sugar cookie recipe from my book, again I hope you can use a gluten free mix? Good luck with everything.

Donuts

2 cups warm water
2 tbsp instant yeast
4 tbsp raw honey
4 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp sea salt
2 ½ cups fresh-ground soft wheat flour
2 ½ -3 cups white flour
Coconut oil

Mix water, yeast and honey. Let sit for about 5 minutes. Add olive oil, and whole wheat flour, and salt. Mix until blended. Add remaining flour until you get a soft dough, and it pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Knead for 6-8 minutes. place in a greased bowl, cover and allow to rise until double. Punch down dough, roll out to ½ inch thickness. Cut out and allow to rise for about 30-40 minutes. Fry in coconut oil, until golden brown. Glaze as desired.

Soft Whole Wheat Sugar Cookies

Cream:
¾ cup sour cream
½ cup plain yogurt
2 eggs
1 cup butter
1 ½ cups raw honey
1 ½ tsp vanilla

Add to creamed mixture:
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp sea salt
1 tbsp aluminum-free baking powder
4 to 5 cups fresh-ground whole wheat flour

Mix all ingredients together, the dough should be sticky. Put into the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
Take out only what you need to roll out, put remaining dough back into the fridge.
Use white flour to roll out as dough is soft and sticky. Roll out and cut with cookie cutters. Place on un-greased baking sheets.
Bake at 375°F for 10-12 minutes. Cool and frost as desired.

I should be getting a box of my books within the next week I think. The rest will take longer to get because they have to be shipped from over-seas where they are being printed. I will let you know as soon as I get them.

my beautiful Harriet

my beautiful Harriet
This is Harriet, my sponsor child through Compassion International. She is 9 and lives in Uganda, Africa. I've been sponsoring her for about 2 years now. She just sent me this photo and said she bought the shoes and stockings in the photo with money I sent her. Please pray for her and her family.